Jefferson County

Beaumont, Texas


November 27, 1912

The funding for this monument was provided by The Albert Sidney Johnson Camp, United Confederate Veterans.  The monument was originally erected in Keith Park, but the statue was moved to its present location in 1926.  In October 1986, the soldier toppled from the summit during a storm. 
On November 27, 1912, a monument to Confederate soldiers was unveiled at Beaumont, Tex., by the citizens of that place. The memorial is a marble 5haft surmounted by the bronze figure of a private Confederate soldier standing at parade rest. The inscription on one side reads: “Our Confederate soldiers.” Below are two Confederate flags crossed. On .the reverse side is inscribed in part: “Erected by Albert Sidney Johnston Camp, No. 75, U. C. V., and the citizens of Beaumont. In memory of the Confederate soldier rendered immortal by his deeds of valor, sacrifices, and achievements, 1861-65, which are without a parallel in all history.”
The monument stands in the northwest corner of Keith Park, in the heart of the city.
At two o’clock the veterans, including many from other counties and a sprinkling of Grand Army men, were formed in a column of twos by Capt. J. A. Brickhouse, marshal of the day, and marched to ‘the scene of the unveiling, preceded by a decorated float carrying thirteen little girls, each bearing a Confederate flag and representing one of the thirteen States. They were in charge of Miss Issie Redman, Camp sponsor.
First in the parade were the county and State officials, headed by a squad of mounted police and followed by a band. Next to the veterans came the Daughters of the Confederacy, headed by Mrs. Hal W. Greer, President of the Division of Texas, followed by the Sons, Boy Scouts, and more than a thousand school children carrying Confederate flags. Lastly came the Fire Brigade, in charge of Chief Eastham.
On arriving at the park the thirteen little girls formed a cordon around the base of the monument, and Capt. George W. Kidd, master of ceremonies, introduced George B. Norton, D.D., who offered an earnest invocation. At the close of the prayer little Miss Eddie Kuhn, granddaughter of Capt.
J. A. Brickhouse, unveiled the monument with the words:
“We as granddaughters of Confederate soldiers now unveil to your view this monument, erected in memory of those whose valor and achievements will live in history while patriotism and civilization endure.”
Captain Kidd then introduced Col. J. B. Endt, who stated the object of meeting and paid tribute to Confederate soldiers.
Hon. Martin Dies, member of Congress, was next introduced and delivered the oration of the day.
Judge W. H. Pope then introduced Mrs. Hal W. Greer, who delivered a charming recitation.
Judge Robert Rogers, of Atlanta, Ga., then being introduced, addressed the school children upon the character of the Confederate soldier and the women of the South.
Judge Gordon Russell, of the Federal bench, followed in delineation of the Confederate soldier and his cause.
Rabbi Samuel Rosinger delivered the dedicatory address in a most scholarly manner. Speaking of the Confederate soldiers, he said they were men who were actuated in life not by utilitarian but by ideal motives, not by pelf but by principle and the call of duty.